Wednesday

.
Despite the ongoing yankee I could not resist another £20 EW at 8/1. She was held up towards the rear and made progress on the outside over 2f out to a shout of, “here she comes.” In front at the furlong pole she was driven and kept on well inside the final furlong. The cheering started before she reached the line.
.
RESULT.... 1. COPPINGTON FLYER 7/1
...................2. A BEETOO 10/1
...................3. LADY LIESEL 14/1
.
It was now time to start on the Strongbow and JD chasers. On the whole a memorable and profitable day with no complaints. But oh dear Linning Wine how close I had been to a five figure payout. Despite coming 4th he was within a length of the winner. If he had got up to win, the yankee would have paid £16,060. And remember the £2 Scoop 4 ticket. I found that the next day when I was bringing my book up to date. The placepot part of the ticket paid £109 but the Jackpot paid £15,000.
.
.

.

.


CHAPTER ELEVEN

..

A DAY AT THE RACES

After running off the ratings one Wednesday evening I found two stand out horses for Southwell the following day. Wensleydale Lad and Whinhill House. I decided to go. Southwell is the nearest A.W. track to where I live and if the trains run on time I can be there in an hour. This time is usually spent checking out the ratings against the tissue prices in the Racing Post. Although I enjoy travelling by train it can have its down side. On this particular day my train to Nottingham was late and I missed the connection. Rolleston Station is about 200yds from Southwell racecourse but apart from the course it is in the middle of nowhere. Subsequently trains only stop by request on race
days. As the next train would arrive after the start of the first race there was some debate on the platform as to whether it would actually stop. I made some enquiries at the station managers office and found that a form had to be signed by the manager and handed to the driver authorizing him to drop us off. Come back British Rail all is forgiven.
I eventually arrived at Southwell having missed the opening race which I am thankful to say did not involve either of the horses I was interested in.

..

No comments: