Tuesday

The second race was a 6f claimer. As you can see Lillies Bordello was top rated last time out running a 71 at Wolver. This was a classic example of rule 6, unproved over C&D. I naively assumed she would improve again. Looking at the figures now they fit the three time improver pattern and is a prime candidate to bounce. I had £20 E.W. She bounced all right one paced for the final 2f she trailed in 5th, 8l behind the winner I suppose at 14/1 it was not exactly unexpected.
.
RESULT 1. PRIMA STELLA 6/1
...............2. RUDIK 9/2
...............3. GAME GURU 13/8
.
The next race was the days main attraction and involved Whinhill House. The gelding had led in his last race stayed on and was headed inside the last finishing a 1/2L 3rd at 20/1. I was at Southwell that day and discovered that his previous poor runs were due to a back problem. The 5f straight at Southwell is not used that often and usually runs slower than the round course. Subsequently not many horses pick up speed ratings in the 70s. This made Whinhill Houses 73 far superior to the 74 Ladies Knight had run over the round 6f.
.

After opening at 8/1 Whinhill House went out to 10/1 and I had £ 50 E.W. When it drifted to 11/1 I had another £ 20 to win. Whinhill House made all and held on well towards the finish.
.
RESULT 1. WHINHILL HOUSE 10/1
...............2. SCARY NIGHT 2/1F
...............3. ARABIAN KNIGHT 7/1
.
When he entered the winners enclosure I was already there waiting for him. You can’t do that at Ladbrokes!
The 4th race looked a two horse affair with Warden Warren and Sundried Tomato the stand out horses. I decided to go with Warden Warren. He had produced two good figures on the fibresand and a C&D win last time out when he beat Indian Steppes by a neck. Just for good measure he was the ‘red un.’ I wondered whether Fred was on it. He opened at 7/1 and I backed him £ 40 to win. Unfortunately Sundried Tomato with equally impressive figures held on to beat Middleton Grey a short head with the Warden back in 5th. An elementary mistake. At 7/1 and 8/1 I should have backed both horses (rule 8).
.
RESULT 1. SUNDRIED TOMATO 8/1
..............2. MIDDLETON GREY 6/1
..............3. PENWELL HILL 4/1

The 5th race was a seller and time to play up the winnings. Wensleydale Lad opened at 2/1. I decided to wait and felt quiet pleased with myself when I put on my £ 200 at 9/4. I was not so smug a few minutes later when it went 5/2 in places. His 62 last time out looked good enough in this company with the possible exception of Docduckout who won over C&D two runs ago with a 65. I figured that Docduckout had peaked that day and that Wensleydale Lad would improve again
I must confess I was worried when they turned into the home straight and he was nowhere in sight. However he made a late move and stayed on well inside the final furlong to win readily.
.
RESULT 1. WENSLEYDALE LAD 9/4F
...............2. SIR NIGHT 11/1
...............3. REPEAT 15/2
.
The 3.35 was a handicap and to be perfectly honest I was going to give it a miss and have a drink. Fortunately I met someone in the bar with stable connections who told me Hajeer was expected to win. Now I normally take whispers with a pinch of salt but this chap sounded pretty confident. I checked the ratings again and saw that Hajeer was the only horse in the field with C&D figures in the 60s.
I decided to back it, a decision that was easy to make being the best part of a thousand pounds up after four races. Hajeer opened at 3/1 but was 11/4 before I could get on. I staked £ 100 win and a few moments later had a rush of blood to the head striking the same bet this time at 5/2. Hajeer led 3 furlongs out and held on.
.
RESULT 1. HAJEER 5/2F
..............2. KENT 100/30
..............3. ROYAL AXMINSTER 20/1

.
Race 7 was DIV 11 of the six furlong claimer. Legal Set was the obvious good thing although he had no recent form at Southwell. I went £ 100 win and took the opening 11/4. This bet was a mistake. It once again broke the golden rule that you never back a horse that has not proven himself on the surface (rule 6).

.

No comments: